Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Penric’s Mission

Lois McMaster Bujold
Completed 9/9/2026, Reviewed 9/9/2026
4 stars

This third novella in publication order is the fourth in internal chronology.  Unlike its three predecessors, the last of which is Penric’s Fox, I really got into the plot of this one.  I thought it was the most intriguing since the first, but also I found it more readable.  Penric’s demon Desdemona is back to her witty banter.  And now I’m used to, and really enjoy, Penric’s word choices and speaking style.  

In this book, he is on a mission to convince a Cedonian general to conscript with the duke of Adria.  However, on the way, he is arrested in thrown in a deep dungeon.  He escapes, only to find out the general, commonly known as Adelis, has been blinded by the man Velka and is now in the care of Adelis’ sister Nikys.  So his mission appears to have been a setup.  He tries to find Adelis and Nikys to get them safely out of the region.  However, they don’t know if the duke of Adria can be trusted or if they should go somewhere else.  

I think my favorite part of the book is the banter between Adelis and Nikys as they try to figure out who and what Penric is.  Adelis is distrustful, but Nikys comes to believe his story.  It’s also a nice refresher on Penric’s origins.  I also enjoyed the sexual tension between Nikys and Penric, which her brother is not too keen on.  There’s a great comeback by Nikys after Adelis accuses her of being jealous of a fellow prettier than she.  She hits him back with, “Why, are you?  Really, Adelis!”  

Another great quote towards the beginning where Penric confronts Velka with, “You’re worse than evil.  You’re inefficient.”  As I noted above, I love how he has uses words in his style of speech.  I always imagine him calm while he prattles on about anything and everything, especially when he’s tired.  His perspective is unique and he’s good at confusing people with what he says and what he withholds.  I guess I’ve really come to like Penric.

And of course, I can’t leave Desdemona out.  She does not mince words and so when Penric beats around the bush at his feelings for Nikys, Des blurts out, “…you’re the one who’s been mooning after her hips for the past fortnight.  So do something about it.”  It’s the type of banter that was so endearing in the first book but seemed to be missing in the next two.  

I’m reading this book in conjunction with the next one chronologically.  This book sort of ends with a cliffhanger and I’d like to see if Bujold keeps the momentum going in the next one.  I give this four stars out of five.  

(Note: this novella is available on Bookshop.org in the collection "Penric's Travels")



No comments:

Post a Comment