Saturday, August 10, 2019

In Calabria


Peter S. Beagle
Completed 8/8/2019, Reviewed 8/10/2019
5 stars

Beagle is known mostly for “The Last Unicorn”.  Here is another book about unicorns, written just two years ago.  This one takes place in present day Italy.  While it is not fantastical like “The Last Unicorn”, e.g., the unicorns don’t speak, it introduces the magical into the everyday humdrum of rural life.  It is also a love story between and middle-aged farmer and the twenty-three-year-old sister of his postman.  I loved this book.  It transported me to Italy about as much as Call Me By Your Name.  I could identify with the farmer whose pragmatic disposition tries to suppress his feelings for the young woman.  I could feel the suffocation he felt as he was barraged by news and paparazzi.  I felt a lot in this short book, which why I rated it so highly.

The story unfolds on Claudio Bianchi’s farm, a small farm he inherited from a distant cousin.  He works the land alone, with no hired hands, and having only been married once, and for a brief time.  He’s content to smoke his pipe alone in the evenings surrounded by his dog, three cats, and goat.  One day, a white unicorn takes up residence on his land.  It takes a while, but Claudio realizes the unicorn is pregnant is nesting in preparation for birth.  He’s determined to keep it a secret, but eventually, the unicorn is discovered by Giovanna, the sister of his postman who’s been delivering the mail on Fridays.  He binds her to secrecy, but of course, she tells her brother.  The brother also swears to secrecy, but soon, rumors start to fly.  Claudio is at first visited and then inundated by journalists, paparazzi, activists, and looky-loos all trying to find out the truth about this rumored unicorn.  Eventually the mob takes interest.  All the while, Claudio and Giovanna try to keep the unicorn secret and help prepare it for birthing.

I’m finding I’m really enjoying novellas.  I can get more emotionally involved than in short stories and I don’t get bored with the middle section as I sometimes do in full length novels.  And this one proves my point.  Especially now that I’m going through a bout of shingles, my patience and tolerance is quite low.  But reading this book in its peaceful pastoral setting and the subsequent invasion of the crazy outside world both relaxed me and grabbed my attention.  I was caught up through the magical ending.  At the end I wished the book were longer so I could stay in Claudio’s world, but then was glad it ended when it did. 

One of the amazing things about Beagle is that his prose is not flowery and bogged down by tons of similes, yet it creates a beautiful environment.  The characterization is great, though it is not overdone either.  You get to know Claudio and Giovanna through the dialogue more than their descriptions. 

So I give this novella five out of five stars, something I only reserve for books that move me deeply, and this one did.  I guess you could categorize this book as magical realism, because it imbues magical elements into a mundane setting.  And that’s what I loved about the book, the possibility of love and magic in a mundane world. 

1 comment: