Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Dungeon Crawler Carl – The Graphic Novel #1

Matt Dinniman, Tevagah (Adapter), Laurel Pursuit Studios (Illustrator)
Completed 8/13/2026, Reviewed 8/19/2026
3 stars

I enjoyed this first issue of DDC – The Graphic Novel, but I wasn’t bowled over by it.  The novel is collected from the online series, and this volume contains about the first third or so of the first novel.  The art is good, standard manga/anime style.  However, I have issues with the drawing of Carl himself.  He looks way too young to be a coast guard veteran.  His character is more boyish than man-ish.  I guess I’m stereotyping here, but I was expecting a little more square-jawed and brooding, looking at least late twenties rather than late teens.  

So that was my first thought when I saw the cover of the graphic novel, and it unfortunately set the tone for disappointment.  I liked Princess Donut and the aliens; I just never got over Carl.  Despite that, I was able to enjoy it by the end.  It was good, but it certainly didn’t rock my world.  

This post is short because I’ve already reviewed Dungeon Crawler Carl.  (Click the link to see it)  I give this first issue of the graphic novel three stars out of five.  It didn’t thrill me like the first book did.  It’s probably because in the original text, there was more of Carl’s inner monologue, his thought processes, his coming to grips with what has happened to the Earth and its people, and the insanity of a live action, galaxy-televised DnD game.  It fleshed out Carl better, making him a more colorful loser cum action hero.  What I’d really like to do is listen to the audio book.  Everyone says the reader is amazing, so I’m going to have to try it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment